A Portion

Do not touch my closet

Got in the habit of keeping my secrets there

Neatly packed, pressed and perfumed

Taken out to air once a year

Time of the spring-cleaning

Do not touch my boudoir

Somebody said—no

I kept it

Somebody bumped on every word

I picked them up

Somebody may have cried

Drops are hard to store

Somebody may have called

Only the stained moments remain

Neatly packed and pressed

Perfumed and aired once a year

But not to sunlight

That’s bad for the complexion

One must keep up the face

Cobweb dust and grime

Microbes all tiny bits and fragments

Some looking like me

Some like me

Some who are me

Cobweb dust and grime

The path I walked

The air I touched

The puddle I stopped by and arranged the face of my reflection

The tree showering dry petals all over me

The flowers were dead, too, poor poor tree

Come spring and all to air

Come spring and struggle through the closet

Reach out strain out grope and grasp

Reach out till the hands feel alone

Reach out till the eyes grow dark

Reach out till somebody cries HELP

HELP O Wind leave them

HELP O Rain dissolve them

HELP O Fire forgive them

HELP O earth embrace them

HELP O Skies hold your hungry chasms back

Cobweb dust and grime

A part of those moments I saved

Words that lay scattered on the grass I drank

Tears that oft were mingled with smiles showered like dried flowers

And microbes

All tiny bits and fragments

Some like me

Some looking like me

Some who are me

O where you may have passed

Through ruins and graveyards

Eaten leaves frightened weeds and breathless air

Roots of dead trees and withered grass--

O Where, Where may have passed

A portion----

Comments

Popular Posts