Thousand Year Poems - 3 Song of the Black God
We came over the hunched, cruel mountains into this beautiful green valley. Our children laughed. The woman I loved wore flowers in her hair when she came to me. Our Elderman whispered on the four Winds and made this land our own. We built our Fence, a Gate, and cleared our pastures and fields.
Then came the silent, slithering children of the Forests and Rivers. They bit. We knew no cure for such poison. My woman's brother died. She tore her hair and wore flowers no more.
Our Elderman spoke to the Winds, and nodded sagely.
Someone had to go into the forest to pray to the Old Folk there. We needed help.
I stood up and tore my amulet off my arm. I told my people to hold it till I return. I strode into the Forest, alone.
There, far in, the Old Folk lived. The silent biters wound around their feet and kissed them. They signalled me to stop.
They took me to their Wisewoman. The old hag.
She touched me with her long, stick fingers and muttered. Why do you come here, O Child?
I have come to learn, O Mother, I said. My people are dying.
Ah, you know not the poison of the plains, she cackled. I shall teach this to you. But Wisdom needs payment.
What will you give to Wisdom, O Child?
Whatever you want, O Mother, I bragged.
Give us your birth name then, your pledge, your honour, your amulet, she said.
But my arm was bare. My honour was with my brothers.
Give us your arms, then, O Child, said she.
A moon later, I came down the forest path to our Gate. I called. My people gathered around. They looked up at me in awe and fear. They did not touch me. I gave them the boon I brought.
There was such music, and laughter that night. My people rejoiced. They brought me rich food, and garlands. They danced in front of me. They tied my amulet on a post and touched their foreheads to it. They chanted, Saviour! Deliverer! Protector! They did not let me go through.
There, outside the Fence, beyond the Gate, beneath the Old Fire Tree, they built the temple to their armless god. They prospered.
Two suns later, the woman I loved came to seek the god's blessings on her young man.
Then she came for her children. And then, no more.
I slowly, very slowly, turned to stone.
Comments